Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Finding Momoe Yamaguchi (山口 百恵)

Momoe Yamaguchi swept Japan and China in the 1970's, just as Adela has conquered the States today. Despite many melodramatic scenes of death, illness and betrayals in her films, audience were rapt with attention. The climax came in 1980 when she decided to retire at the peak of her short career, a rare quality everyone admires. She was married to her co-star Tomokazu Miura (三浦 友和) with a fierce determination to raise a young family in privacy. The phenomenon of Momoe Yamaguchi is that of Cinderella in the east, with her illegimate birth, humble childhood but true musical/acting talent.

I was looking for her albums every time a Japanese song was heard. With the availability of a premium membership with Spotify, I found my old longing revived again. Google helped me to locate her name in English, Spotify provided me with her instrumentals, but it is YouTube that gathered a collection of films and songs by Momoe Yamaguchi.






No comments:

My Blog Archive