Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Jazz for All

Last Sunday night, I was invited to Paul's "Philosophers' Seminar" special night at Cafe Limelight. The top item on the agenda was view "Wynton Marsalis with Eric Clapton" at the Lincoln Center, NY, September 13, 2011. It is a life-changing experience.

Courtesy of http://wyntonmarsalis.org/discography/title/wynton-marsalis-and-eric-clapton-play-the-blues

I was always living under the impression that Jazz was reserved for the elite, or for the white, as some of my favorite writers complained. But the concert has changed my mind. First of all, I witnessed a collaboration between Marsalis and his ensemble. Everyone was working for the same goal: giving the excellent music for their audience. Next I could not help noticing a rare support. Whenever one person was playing, his neighboring partner would show his encouragement and admiration, which would spread to the whole ensemble. Last but not least. there was a strong atmosphere of welcoming inclusion, rather than exclusion. Such a spirit is truly rare in our life.

Inspired by the performance, our group decided to forego the rest of items on the agenda. Instead we shared and devoured two big pizzas!

No comments:

My Blog Archive