Pages

Monday, August 1, 2016

Lu Gusun (陆谷孙) Passed Away

Professor, lexicographer and Shakespearean scholar Lu Gusun's 陆谷孙 (1940-2016) passed away on July 28, 2016 in Shanghai. He was one of the most renowned celebrities Fudan has ever produced. His funeral service was fully attended, with white wreaths from city and state dignitaries.

In my four years' undergraduate study at the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, I was fortunate to have one translation class with him, when our regular professor was away. True to his name, he was extremely witty but kind, a very rare combination among professors of his status. Later my schoolmate was assigned to work for him, compiling the monumental English-Chinese Dictionary in the Academy of Social Sciences, next door to our Film Bureau. Since I left for California, I have not heard too much about Lu, except for his separate personal life with him in Shanghai and his wife and daughter in the States. A sad loss indeed.

No comments:

My Blog Archive