Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Cover Art in Online Image Generator & Librarything

I really have had fun with the easy manipulation of cover art in the exercises for Online Image Generator & Librarything.

http://plcmclearning.blogspot.com/2006/09/10-play-around-with-image-generators.html is a very useful site in deciding and designing your own book covers. I especially love the option for CHANGE THE COVER!, which allows you to view and change your design accordingly in real time. Please look at my newly designed cover.

I am equally fascinated with Librarything's menu for ADD BOOKS. I duly added to its list Davenport Cement Centennial, a book by Alverda Orlando. There are two ways to add a book: manually and import. The title entry is instantly available for retrieval; however, there is a time lag for indexing the author list. I am not so sure of the exact time frame. It seems that overnight is to be expected.

The cataloging template is a simplified version of MARC (MAchine-Readable Cataloging). But its TAGS, COMMENTS and RATING are user-interactive. The same is true of REVIEW or REVIEW URL and RATING. This is something for catalogers to reconsider for their future templates and fields.

Librarything will provide a default cover for you if you do not have anything ready at the moment. You can always edit and add the cover later. It is gratifying to see the real cover on the screen, and the process is so easy and friendly. Please check out my sample at: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/hui-lan

No comments:

My Blog Archive